Our Document examination section of laboratory deals with all sorts of foul-play concerned with the documents. The services that we provide generally concentrate on signature comparison and verification, comparison of handwritings, deciphering of Indented writings, deciphering of obliterations, identification in case of suspected additions and deletions, photocopy forgery examination, typewritten document comparison and verification, examination of charred documents.
We commit to the implementation of all the scientific tools and techniques within a standard protocol. A questioned document is any hand-written or type-written document irrespective of the surface, whose authenticity or genuineness is being questioned or doubted. This can be any receipt, will, anonymous letter, agreement, contract or deed. Even a writing or a threatening message on a wall is considered to be a suspected writing. Our laboratory has a full-fledged team of experts who devote to the fulfilment of the task with utmost loyalty bound to factuality.
The team has years of expertise in innumerable cases related to documents with a motto of “Bad Investigation is equal to No Investigation at all”.
Our laboratory is equipped with all the necessary equipments that aid in an organized investigation process. The questioned document section mainly concentrates on handwriting and its principles. The document section does not solely depends on the deciphering of indented writings, forgery, addition, deletion or obliterations; but we also observe the miniscule factors as staple marks, age of the paper, invisible ink decipherment, recovery of worn entries or receipts and detection of counterfeit currencies.
Our methodology is bound to certain ethics. We maintain the privacy concerns of our clients to the core. Our primary concern is to ensure our client’s satisfaction. The first and the foremost sequential examination involves a thorough examination of the entire document, in order to check any minute factor present, which could serve for the betterment of the services provided. After a thorough physical examination, lenses and microscopes are used to perceive a thorough examination of the minute characteristics as line quality, skill, speed, stroke, pen pressure, pen pauses and so. After a detailed examination of all the class and individual characteristics, we conclude to the result and step ahead to the report-making.
Our services mainly concentrate on to the following:
• Handwriting Comparisons deals with the comparison of two questioned writing samples. Each and every individual possesses handwriting characters and habits that are unique to them. The individual characters as rhythm, speed, formation, skill, and connecting strokes are evidently unique to every individual. Thus, on the basis of this scientific fact, the conclusion drawn is that no individual can write alike. And in case, if such an attempt is made, the writer or the forger is deemed to unintentionally introduce his own writing style, in an attempt to facsimile someone’s handwriting.
• Document Authentication mainly concentrates on the verification of certificates, mark-sheets and other related documents. National and International governments and organizations sometimes require that documents be authenticated before being accepted by any such body. Thus, document verification and authentication is carried out within a standardized manner for the purpose.
• Staple mark Examination is primarily carried out when authenticity of a multiple page document is challenged. In such a case, the sequence of the staple marks are noted. In case of de-stapling and re-stapling then, a disturbance can be noted, if thoroughly observed. This examination of stapling sequence will help reveal, if any extra page or sheet was added into the document.
• Forgery/Signature Authentication follows the similar principle as handwriting. It is hard and almost impossible to replicate someone’s signature with cent percent accuracy. Thus, this scientific theory which states that, “Handwriting is a neuromuscular task which is carried out by muscles of hand in co-ordination with brain.” Thus, this specificity of the science of handwriting aids a lot in deciphering genuine signatures from the forged ones.
• Deciphering of Obliterations helps interpreting a text or a portion of document that has been obliterated either with a correction fluid, or tape, or by repetitive strokes of a marking pen. In such cases, there is a possibility that the examiner may decipher the original entry. The tests conducted are non-destructive and the results of illumination in proper lighting are documented.
• Identification of Additions/Deletions help detect the insertion or deletion of any letter, digit or figure in a document. This insertion or deletion can be done either by chemical or physical process which would thereby, distort the fibre of the paper. Thus, making the examination simple and clear.
• Indented Writings, refers to the impression left behind the writing. This illegible impression can reveal a lot about the actual impression or indentation. ESDA (Electro-static detection apparatus) is a device specially used for deciphering indentations. Instead, oblique lighting can also be used for the photography and decryption of the indentations present in a suspected document.
• Typewriter Comparison and Identification is carried out on typewritten suspected documents. With the constant use, the typefaces of the typewriter gets weary; which serves as a unique and individual character in the comparison and identification purpose. In cases where the typewriter is not available, the examination of the specific style of the typeface may yield information so as to brand of model of the machine used to produce the document.
1. Magnifying lens aid in viewing enlarged images of signatures, which deciphers the microscopic features as skill, speed, line quality and so.
2. Microscope helps in viewing the microscopic details of the distorted paper fibres that enables in concluding that some means has been used to distort the paper, in order to carry out some malicious operation.
3. UV Lamp is used in questioned document laboratory, basically for the detection of real and counterfeit currencies. The exposure to UV light illuminates the security features (as security thread, water mark etc.) present in the real currency.